What is Yoga?
“The word yoga is related to the English word yoke. Yoga is the union of body, mind and spirit - the union of your individuality with the divine intelligence that orchestrates the universe.
Yoga is a state of being in which the elements and forces that comprise your biological organism are in harmonious interaction with the elements of the cosmos. Established in this state you will experience enhanced emotional, psychological and spiritual wellbeing and will increasingly notice the spontaneous fulfillment of your desires. In yoga – union with spirit – your desires of nature are one.
As you participate in the process of creativity along with the infinite being, your worries fall away and you feel a sense of light heartedness and joy. There is a spontaneous blossoming of intuition, insight, imagination, creativity, meaning and purpose. You make correct choices that benefit not only you but also everyone affected by your choice.
When in the book of Matthew Jesus says, “My yoke is easy and my burden is light”, he is aligned with cosmic intelligence, his will with divine intelligence, his will with divine will.”
Through a combination of asanas (postures) and pranayamas (breathing techniques) whilst focusing on present awareness (mindfulness), yogis/yoginis are taken on an inner journey connecting them to their Oneness within the Universe.
Stepping aside from all the well known physical/medical benefits outlined everywhere, Yoga:
- Makes us feel good in our bodies regardless of size, colour, gender, social status
- One starts being drawn to what is nurturing: food, relationships, lifestyle…
- As we start feeling good about our physical self we start embracing our emotional self, seeing our flaws as human traits which we learn to embrace and accept. Only then are we able to move forward.
- Old patterns start falling away spontaneously, a new vision of life, human beings, animals, nature in its entire creation arises
- A sense of responsibility and what impact we can have in this world emerges
- Social, ethnical, gender boundaries also peel away giving rise to community oriented organisations…
- Social and personal behaviors spontaneously evolve (nyamas & yamas) for the betterment of the whole of humanity
- A sense of universal connection and Oneness (as described through quantum physics) is experienced from the Heart...
- This is also true of meditation as yoga, creating body-mind union, transcends to meditation